Banner

Encouraging the body of Christ, and all other seekers of truth, to appreciate the rich spiritual treasures that reside in Scripture

Saturday, December 28, 2013

My New Year's Resolution: To Lead By Following (Christ)


"As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 'Come, follow me,' Jesus said, 'and I will make you fishers of men.' At once they left their nets and followed Him."
Matthew 4:18-20

The start of another calendar year always seems to usher in a wave of unspoiled hopes and dreams. It bears a time to begin anew. To try something never done before, or revamp a habit, hobby, or a fellowship that has long suffered from neglect or underutilization. From this mindset flows a host of resolutions. Some commit themselves to exercising more, and eating healthier entrees so that they can be viewed in a new light (from without and from within). Some commit themselves to relinquishing destructive (spiritually or physically) patterns in order to feel better and be perceived as improved. And some commit themselves to making positive strides in family and communal relationships so that they can enjoy unity rather than disunity. And while all of these pursuits are good, provided they are generated with the right motive (for God's glory rather than self glory), I find myself holding onto one firm desire: to lead others, specifically in my home, by following Jesus.

This may sound like an understood goal that I should have already obtained as a mature believer, but as I grow in my knowledge of God's Word I realize how far from I am from fully relinquishing control of my life to Christ. Yes, I surrendered a Jesus-centered confession many years ago as a teenager, recognizing Jesus is my Lord and Savior, Who alone can reconcile me to God through His sacrifice at Calvary. And this glorious declaration secured my eternal residence in heaven. But faith goes beyond an internal, or external, proclamation of Christ's divinity. Faith, in its purest, truest form, should comprise an all-encompassing, unyielding desire to let God have the reins of my life. It should exhibit humility, honor, and holiness. It should be motivated by giving, not taking. It should be total, unadulterated allegiance to God. In other words, faith seeks to bring the Lord praise through personal unbending service. And I admit this type of faith, although present at moments in my life, is not yet the default state of my heart. And this is why I want to lead by following Jesus, genuinely and wholeheartedly.

And so when I read a passage like Matthew 4:18-20 I am convicted because I question whether or not I possess the same type of "all in" heart that the disciples displayed when Jesus called them to go and follow Him into the great unknown. Picture the scene. Peter, Andrew, James and John were examining their nets. It was an ordinary day for these anglers, a profession that can be grueling and competitive (after all there are only so many fish in the sea). They spent hours daily performing the same task. Cast then retract. Cast then retract. And sometimes the wear and tear on the fishing nets required patching for any weakness in the net would threaten to lose a precious haul of fish. Their work was the very manner in which they provided for their families and supplied for their pressing, legitimate needs. Obviously, fishing was their very livelihood. And as they were looking over their nets on a presumably average day, preparing the next cast, a stranger walked up to them, dressed in ordinary, everyday attire, and asked them to come and follow him. His words were few, and his promise was rather vague. Yet something was clearly different about this individual. His voice, tone, and spirit all conveyed a depth, a spirituality, that was unlike any demeanor that Peter, Andrew, James, or John had ever experienced from a rabbi in their synagogye  Peter and Andrew dropped their fishing nets and followed. James and John did as well, but also left their father behind who was fishing with them. 

Clearly, obedience is not some feeble step toward God. It is an all-in, here is my life kind of faith-based sacrifice. Each day we must choose to place God above everything in our lives. We must let His will guide us and lead us. But notice a few elements to these few short verses. One, the initiation. Jesus initiated the communication and the conditions regarding the opportunity for discipleship. Just as God called out to Moses from a burning bush in Exodus 3 so Jesus called out to Peter, Andrew, James, John, and eight others (to be His students and future servants). This is how it has always been. God, as the Creator, finds us when He determines we are ready for His work. We are made in His image, which is a continual reminder that we are not put on this planet for our own adoration and legacy. We are here to advance God's legacy. And when God calls out to us we would do well to model our response after that of the disciples: to drop our figurative nets (that which affixes us to this our self-focused world) and go wherever He leads.

Two, the invitation. Jesus invited the disciples to follow Him. He did not say, at first, what that choice would entail (persecution, death, and exile). But that was not the point. The flesh is consumed with the "hows and whys" of such situations. What are the conditions and requirements we will be subjected to? But faith chooses not to dwell on the details, or anticipated hardships to the brink of falling away. No, faith chooses to see the beauty of the holy invitation and partake of God's inclusiveness. When the Lord offers the opportunity to serve we should serve without hesitation or reservation. 

Three, the inheritance. Jesus pledged to make the disciples fishers of men. This was a pledge packed with divine implications. As Scripture would later confirm, the disciples (minus Judas Iscariot) were among the first to receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 2). The Holy Spirit fulfills many roles in the lives of believers, including the guarantee of eternal life (2 Corinthians 5:5). So as Jesus stood before the disciples and told them to join Him in His mission He was pledging a supreme inheritance, an everlasting inheritance. An inheritance that would rescue humanity (for those who find Christ's redemption) from despair and desolation. And so with all of this being said my new years's resolution, better yet my earthly lifelong resolution, is to lead, in my home, church, and community, by following Christ. He initiated my calling, invited me into forever fellowship, and gave me a wondrous inheritance. How can I deny His love and not follow Him, wherever that leads?

Father I pray that I would follow You in sincere and utter devotion. That the words of my mouth, the desires of my heart, and the actions of my life would resonate with complete, total allegiance to You. Help me not to exhibit a divided mind. Help me not to be consumed with selfish ambition, or corrupted values. Help me not to walk away from Your great and glorious purpose. When You call may I be ready and willing to go, without hesitation or reservation. Thank you Lord for Your love and Your grace. And thank You that You would allow me, a weakling, a wretch, into Your eternal kingdom through the sacrifice of Christ. May Jesus be the Lord of my heart and the passion of my soul. May my life be the proof of Your amazing love. Amen.  

                

No comments:

Post a Comment