Banner

Encouraging the body of Christ, and all other seekers of truth, to appreciate the rich spiritual treasures that reside in Scripture

Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Cherishment of Christ

"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."
Luke 2:19

Have you ever experienced a defining moment where you knew you would forever remember it, and forever cherish it? A moment that was so spectacular, so exceptional, that it continually causes you to sense joy every time you reflect upon it? A wedding day perhaps? Or maybe the birth of a child? Or the day that you, or a loved one, encountered salvation in Jesus? Beth Moore would call such moments "God stops". Moments that compel mankind to stop and recognize the Lord's holy, divine influence, and how He majestically works in this world. "God stops" are essentially the intersection of self and Sovereign. And the Sovereign Lord's goodness and greatness are so powerful, so incredible, that it leaves us in a state of awe and wonder.    

I myself have had several incredible confirmations of God's presence. And as I have aged I have found it beneficial to catalog them in some written fashion. Let me provide an example. A few short years ago my wife and I celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary. In the months leading up to the anniversary date I began to reflect on the amazing blessing that our marital relationship had become. My wife and I had spiritually matured so much and sensed God's benevolent mercy strengthening us, and drawing us closer to Him. I was flooded with gratefulness as I thought about the years my wife and I had experienced in our marriage. Gratefulness for my wife, who was, and is, an wonderful life-mate. She motivates me and cares for me beyond anything I can nobly express. She is tender, kind, and wholly affectionate. I also sensed gratefulness to the Lord, Who orchestrated the manner in which my wife and I  met each other so long ago (it was at church - not very original I know). 

I started to go through some pictures we had collected in our relatively short span as husband and wife. And one picture kept drawing my attention. It was an impromptu snapshot my Mom had taken. We were standing on the front porch of my parent's home. I don't recall the conversation, but we all began to laugh. My wife leaned in and hugged me, and that is when my Mom snapped the photograph. The picture conveys such happiness and joy. And it symbolized how I felt being with my wife, particularly in regard to how warm and genuine her embrace is. A few days later I decided to write a poem inspired by that image, which I later had framed with a copy of the poem. I am the first to admit I am not skilled with rhythmic prose, but I was so adamant about finding a way to uniquely express how appreciative I was to be married to my wife that I penned the following poem:

It's such a mysterious thing
To experience the warmth of your embrace
To be enveloped by arms that supply love
And overflow with grace

Impromptu hugs

Which I treasure and hold so dear
Offer me an affectionate shelter
Every time you draw near

With each tender touch

You affirm a heart that is genuinely true
And daily remind me
Life is fuller sharing it with you

I know the beauty of your smile

And the curves of your face
But nothing has captured me
Quite like the warmth of your embrace

This personal account highlights, to a degree, the state of Mary's heart in Luke 2:19. Luke 2:8-16 tells us that some shepherds were out in the fields near Bethlehem the night Jesus was born. An angel appeared to them and informed them that a Savior, the Christ in fact, had been born that very evening. Just as they were trying to absorb the message a great company of celestial beings appeared and praised God. The shepherds were obviously overcome with curiosity and rushed to Bethlehem to find the Messianic child. And when they found Joseph, Mary, and Jesus, the shepherds recounted everything that had just happened. Luke 2:19 then reveals that Mary treasured the news, and pondered it in her heart.

Luke 2:19 denotes the seriousness of Jesus' purpose on earth, and how Mary wisely perceived it. Mary understood, in some fashion, the weight of Christ's purpose on earth. She was more concerned with honoring the Lord than she was with achieving notoriety for herself or her family. The apprehension that she was part of God's collective work and will was being forged in her heart. Through Luke 2:19 we find that Mary was reposed and respectful. And she was astutely aware that the Lord was doing something magnificent with Jesus' coming, which would eventually be instrumental in changing the world.

The heart is the seed of emotions. It is how humanity can behold the grandeur of life. And through the heart Mary dwelled on the tremendous honor she had been given. She was the vessel God chose to bring forth Jesus into this planet (in human form). Mary did not boast about her position in history. Did not brag about it. Probably did not consider herself to be worthy of the privilege. Instead, she humbly pondered the meaning of the unfolding events surrounding Jesus, and treasured the baby supernaturally formed in her womb. In other words, Mary cherished Christ. And this consideration has valuable meaning and application today. Do we as Christians acknowledge Jesus as Savior and Messiah? Do we recognize His authority and glory? Do we choose to embrace His legacy and ponder it in our hearts daily? In short, do we cherish Christ, cherish Him as Mary did?  


    


No comments:

Post a Comment